Peter Mensch, Metallica's Co Manager versus YouTube.
Peter Mensch, the manager of bands including Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Muse says You tube killing music industry.
“You tube they're the devil”, he told a BBC Radio 4 documentary on the music business, and added “ We don't get paid at all”.
He said the site's business model, in which artists make money by placing ads around their music, was unsustainable."If someone doesn't do something about YouTube, we're screwed," he said. "It's over. Someone turn off the lights."Mensch's arguments echo concerns raised in the annual report of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). It said there was widening "value gap" between the volume of music consumed on free, "user-upload" services - including YouTube, Daily Motion and Soundcloud - and the amount of revenue they generate for the industry.
An estimated 900 million consumers on these sites resulted in revenue of $634m (£447m) in 2015. By contrast the world's 68 million paying music subscribers generated about $2bn (£1.4bn).
The problem also has a "serious impact" on subscription services like Spotify and Apple Music, who struggle to attract paying customers, the report continued. "It's hard to make people pay for what they've been getting for free," agreed Mensch. "That's consumer behaviour one-oh-one."
Responding to Mensch's comments, YouTube CEO Robert Kynci argued that artists were not seeing higher YouTube payouts because of the agreements they had with their record labels.
"It really depends on what is the flow of the money from us to you," he said.
"The artists who are signed up directly with YouTube are seeing great returns," he said. "Not everybody — but if you're generating a lot of viewership, you're making a lot of money.
You Tube said in a statement: "Only about 20% of people are historically willing to pay for music. YouTube is helping artists and labels monetize the remaining 80% that weren't previously monetized. The global advertising market is worth $200 billion. This is a tremendous opportunity."
Lars Ulrich, Metallica's drummer talking about this question with the BBC
"I believe streaming is good for music. People sit there and go, 'I'm not getting paid very much' — but streaming is a choice on all fronts.”
He also explainig: “I connect less because there's less great new music to connect with. A lot of the stuff is just regurgitated — this year's flavor. It's not leading-edge like THE BEATLES, Miles Davis or Jimi Hendrix.”